Sunday 16 December 2012

Cruising on a sunny Sunday

So, we had a fairly sunny Sunday here in Rio.  I spent the morning at the Hippie Fair in Ipanema with the family, then lunch in Copacabana, and then I got to take the bike out for a cruise.

Ever hear of CheckMyTour?  It's a cool little smartphone app that lets you track, save, and publish your trips, designed for use by motorcyclists, but open to anyone.  It tracks you by GPS, and you can add photos and comments along the route as you like.

Here's my tour for today, available for all to see.  Feel free to comment or check out my other tours.

During the week I had bad luck with rain on the way home from work, especially getting caught in a squall on Thursday - apparently 27mm of rain in 15 minutes. My bike really doesn't like wet weather - it seems like it sometimes gets at the electrics, shutting everything down, and regularly drowns the engine, which means I have to leave the choke wide open and keep the engine at high revs to not stall. I hope the weather is better this week.

I've also had some bad luck with traffic. The worst thing that actually happened was dinging my mirror on a taxi overtaking me illegally, but with unsignalled lane changes and other nuttery, I have two things to say to every driver in the country:
1.  Hang up the damn phone;
2.  Pick a lane.  That dotted line?  It's supposed to be to the side of your car, not down its centreline.

Looking forward to another week's driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment