Thursday 22 November 2012

Reborn as a wrench monkey

As I sit here smelling faintly of motor oil, I reflect on something I posted earlier: that there is some expectation that motorcycle owners should do more basic maintenance work than car owners, and that I hoped to learn some of this basic maintenance.

Well, it's happened.  I learned quickly after starting to drive this bike that it drinks a fair bit of oil; I've gone through a litre already in just some weeks.  (to be fair, I've been driving it pretty heavily) I've done all the top-ups myself, though I expect to arrange a full oil change soon.  I'd actually like to watch, so I can learn to do it myself in future.

I've also done a number of minor adjustments myself - installing accessories like my tank protector (installed under the seat, which had to be removed) and adjusting the mirrors.  (As in removing them and reinstalling them with a wrench)



Finally, like a complete drooling moron, I left the key in the bike overnight last weekend and drained the battery.  Well, once I got a new battery, I had to add the acid myself.  I'd have installed it myself too, except I didn't have a battery charger and the instructions said to charge the battery before use (presumably to allow the battery to attain a true 100% charge) - so we called a pro who ignored all instructions, installed the battery before the acid had been in the battery for 30 minutes, and then jump-started my bike and told me to run it for 30 minutes.  (I did.  Better than nothing.)  I now expect the life expectancy of this battery to be below average - though I should expect nothing less from a guy who makes his living selling batteries!

Anyway, this is all a contrast to my years of driving cars.  I hardly ever opened the hood, and wouldn't know how to change a battery or the spark plugs.  Hardly ever needed to fill up on oil, so barely knew how.  With my bike, I'm quite happy to go at it with a wrench and screwdriver, and it's simple enough that I figure I can see how it all fits together.  Cars these days are way too complicated and (arguably) over-engineered; two-stroke air-cooled motorcycles are far simpler, and easier, cheaper, and much more fun to maintain.  I smell of motor oil, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment